Tuesday, June 19, 2012

too much power

Today's subject is that of principal power. Yesterday, I picked up my daughter from school and she immediately showed me her shoes.  They had broken from heel to toe and the sole was being held by about an inch of contact.


I sent her to school today and she wore sandals with her uniform.  I figured since it was half a day and it was the second to last day of school, there will be no problems regarding the shoes. Little did I know that it was a problem.


I received a call this morning from the secretary and she told me that the principal asked that i bring her a pair of shoes because she was not allowed to wear sandals in school.  I told her about the school shoes broken and she explained to the principal.


The principal did not budge.  She said that if I don't send her the shoes, she will spend the rest of the day by the her office doing her school work.  After relaying that to me, I told the secretary that I will be picking her up from school.


I've always respected rules because I believe that they are in place for a reason.  I also believe that unless it has to do with life or death, rules can be bent a little to show consideration.  If my little had no fault in the fact that her shoes broke, especially after a whole years usage, she should not have been singled out and separated from the others.


I picked her up and we had a daddy-daughter day.  I took a step back to analyze why wouldn't the principal cut my daughter a break especially since the school year was technically done.


My conclusion, reputation is very important to her.  She has to make sure that everyone knows that she is in charge.  The problem with that is that the reputation also comes with a bad side and that bad side is the fact that she is heartless.


I was told that she was somewhat of a bitch even before I placed her in the school.  I think that she enjoys being hated and thought of that way and relies on that to be respected.  When it comes to her position, I feel that she has to be flexible.


I would rather be loved and respected than hated and feared.  Unfortunately, my daughter will be missing an ice cream sundae party tomorrow because I don't have for the shoes right now.  


I will make it up for her on Sunday when she comes back from visiting with her mom. I will not make a deal about this now but in September I will bring it up in conversation.  More with honey than with vinegar.





No comments:

Post a Comment