Saturday, May 21, 2011

Agree to disagree

I like to think of myself as an open-minded, non-judgemental person.  (at least most of the time)  There are times however, that require an opinion or a statement regardless of the responses from other people.  I have a tendency to try to accept people and their lifestyles as opposed to tolerating them.  I would rather teach my children  acceptance instead of tolerance because with tolerance, the baseline hate is still there.  It would be like being a racist and having to serve an African-American coffee in a southern diner with a smile on my face.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a racist, I hate Everyone equally!   LOL 

All jokes aside, I don't like the hood.  You know, that person that can only be described with a derogitory term of each race. Those ignorant people who believe this wonderful world owes them something just because they were born into it.  I must say that fashion and drugdealing have a major influence into this life, as well as local economy but overall the way you are raised ultimately paves the way for your life. 

I'm happy my father left when I was young.  I couldn't see myself an alcoholic, non working, hanging out in front of bodegas owing child support hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I promised that I would do the opposite of my father and I think I'm better for it.  My grandfather, may he rest in peace, is sooo proud that he raised a responsible, educated young man who believes that family will ALWAYS come first. 

The other day I was practically called a Homophobe because I have a very specific opinion on a gay issue.  I can go on and on about how I have friends that are gay and of how I love them so much.  Without them, I would be a totally different person.  That, however, would defeat the purpose.  It would be like saying that I have black friends just to prove that I am not a racist.  I just believe that there is a time and place for everything.

To clarify the situation, I would like to say that I don't think santified places should be used for sacreligious venues.  For instance, The Limelight used to be a church but was changed to a club.  Thousands celebrated marriages, communions, confessions and even mourned dearly departed in the place and now people are dancing and using drugs?  No, I don't think so.  How about disney world promoting a week long gay event at Hurricane Harbor?  No disrespect to the gay community but Disney, to me anyway, is a place of fantasy and innocence.  I would not patronize Disney if I would spend all my money on a week trip for me and my children to find that I'm surrounded by flambourancy.  Personally, I find it amusing, however its just not cool.  I've learned to accept thier lifestyle and maybe even appreciate it but I wouldn't want my children confused about it and if I can avoid it I will.  I would even go on and say that about 80% of the gay community respect all others as they would want to be respected.  I appreciate that so much.  Treated as equals is what they want.  There is, however that 20% that feel being gay is the ultimate way of life and abuse of their stature with others.  They are just right ignorant.

I would rather post this opinion here on my blog because I'm afraid someone's feelings are going to get hurt or they are going to say something real stupid and trigger and ignorant response from me in front of my 1000's of friends on facebook.  I just want to be able to think or say what I want and if you have a problem with it, agree to disagree or just keep your mouth shut.  lol........Thanks for listening, by the way, you can always chime in whenever you want.  I love to have comments and discussions!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment