Friday, July 29, 2011

Seward Park Memories

In September of 1981, I was accepted and began to attend the high school known as Seward Park.  Back in the day, it was my zoned school so to say I was accepted is an exaggeration.  Anyway, I had heard so much negative rumors about the school that I really didn't want to go to it.

As you are well aware, if you are a Seward Graduate, you know that you begin your Seward life at the Annex.  As I entered the Annex, I hated it even more.  There were days that I didn't even go!  Of course, I probably still hold the All-Time cutting record.  I hated the Annex.  Nothing good there for me. 

When I started the main, it was a whole different world.  I felt like the Annex was boot camp, getting you ready for the main.  The transition was much easier.  I'm writing all this because I'm remembering the old neighborhood surrounding the main. 

I remember the old Chinese lady that used to hang out her window chasing the spirits away.  In fact, I know a few students that used to throw oranges at her from the school windows!  I won't mention any names but you know who you are!  LOL

I remember Guss Pickles on Essex Street as well as Economy candy on the corner of Essex and Rivington.  I always had to grab a handful of peanuts from there.  I tried giving ten dollars to his son for all those peanuts and he smiled.  He said not to worry because his father knew it was happening and he didn't mind.

My first job was on Orchard St. for Kim's children's clothing.  He expanded to leathers and stuff then his son took over.  Nice guy.  Now he has buildings on Orchard and is living the life.  Speaking of Orchard, I remember haggling for a pair of jeans with the Jewish Owners.  Since I was from the neighborhood I can haggle them down to practically free!

I remember that pizzeria on the corner of Essex and Delancey st.  I remember the custodians of the school Billy and Butch.  Great guys!  Let us get away with murder.  The weightlifting teacher Mr. Kessler who formed the group "Dogbrothers". 

I remember acting in about 15 shows and directing a few as well.  Apparently I was being called the Mayor of Seward even though I didn't see it.  I remember having my car parked outside in front with a department of Education permit waiting for third period to fly to queens and get white castles. Yes I know Murder burgers!

I remember every single place in Seward that I was able to fool around in.  I remember those friends that died since then and wonder would it have been different if they kept in touch.  For an old man I'm remembering a lot of things. 

I hope that I never forget them and I can share the stories with my friends and children for a very long time.  If you read this and remember anything else add to it, Please!!!  Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment